Sunday, January 3, 2010

Adding Holiness to Our Lives through Mitzvot

I gave this sermon at Temple B’nai Shalom in Braintree, MA, 0n March 22, 2008. My conclusion: by introducing  observance of mitzvot in our lives, we elevate our lives with holiness and move beyond our animal selves to experience fully our true humanity. 





Eliot Spitzer, while he was serving as Governor of New York, a married man with three daughters, violated the Seventh Commandment. He committed adultery. He was married, and yet he had sex with another woman.
The story is even worse than that. Former Governor Spitzer, who resigned that office in disgrace last week, had been the Attorney General of New York. He is a highly intelligent and aggressive lawyer. While he was Attorney General, he actively prosecuted prostitution rings. He advocated an increased penalty for men who were the clients of prostitutes. As Governor, he signed into law just last November the statute that he had strongly supported. The new law quadrupled the penalties for men who use prostitutes. Then he, himself, was caught on a federal wiretap arranging for sex with a prostitute.
Our Torah portion today is Tzav, which means “command.” Eliot Spitzer disgraced himself and very likely destroyed his family and committed a number of crimes. He also violated the Seventh Commandment: “You shall not commit adultery."
This story is astonishing in itself. And then just a few days later, in a twist to the story that we would not believe if this were fiction, we have a public confession from Eliot Spitzer's successor, now the Governor of New York, David Paterson.
In a story dated March 19, just this past Wednesday, with the headline "New Governor and Wife Talk of Past Affairs," The New York Times reported as follows:
In an extraordinary news conference on his first full day on the job, Governor David A. Paterson acknowledged on Tuesday that he had had several extramarital relationships, including one with a state employee, but said he had done nothing illegal and had been faithful to his wife [pause] in recent years.


Mr. Paterson said: “I didn’t want to be compromised, I didn’t want to be blackmailed, I didn’t want to hesitate taking an action because the person on the other end might hurt me or my family.” He spoke during the tense and often awkward appearance with his wife, Michelle Paige Paterson, at his side. “I just thought this was the time to come forward and reveal this.”

The news conference capped an astonishing 24 hours that began with Ms. Paterson holding the Bible as her husband was sworn in.

Just after the swearing-in, while Mr. Paterson’s supporters were still celebrating, the new administration was plunged into its first crisis, as a Daily News columnist inquired about a past affair and Mr. Paterson and his mostly untested advisers debated how to handle the matter.

The governor and his wife told the columnist that they had each strayed during the marriage.  Neither the governor nor his staff would specify when he stopped having the affairs, beyond saying several years ago.
“Several years ago, and there were a number of women,” Mr. Paterson said during the news conference. 


Former Governor Spitzer, and current Governor Paterson, and his wife, were following their animal urges when they engaged in adultery. They had sex with other partners even though they were married. They behaved in a way that actual animals behave.
  
Alice and I have noticed Mr. and Mrs. Cardinal for many years in our back yard, hanging out together around our bird feeder. Like cardinals generally, and like doves, eagles, geese, swans and other species, this male and female cardinal are mates for life. But that doesn’t necessarily mean that Mrs. Cardinal has always been faithful to Mr. Cardinal.
The fact that animals mate for life does not make them faithful to their life partners sexually. A recent article in the Science section of The New York Times carried the headline, "In Most Species, Faithfulness Is a Fantasy." The article reports research done by scientists that established widespread infidelity among animals, even those who mate for life. The article says:
Sexual promiscuity is rampant throughout nature, and true faithfulness a fond fantasy. Biologists have discovered through the application of DNA paternity tests that as many 70 percent of the offspring of these life-long animal mating pairs were sired by somebody other than the resident male.
So these New York political leaders were behaving no better than animals. What I want to discuss is why we should not behave like them but instead should obey the commandments, and it’s not for the reasons you may be imagining.
Commandments are divided into two categories. There are the prohibitive commandments, the "Don't’s," the ones that say don't do this or don't do that. It's pretty easy to see why we should obey most of those. Most of them clearly reveal their ethical basis. They include such commandments as don't murder, don't steal, don't commit adultery. Any system of ethics prohibits such conduct.
But, in addition to the 365 "Don't’s," there are 248 “Do's”, 248 performative or positive commandments. We must keep kosher by eating only certain foods and not others. We must fast on Yom Kippur. We must remember and guard Shabbat by setting it aside as a day of rest.
Why should we follow these mitzvot? Do we, you and I today, believe that these are divine commands and that we therefore must obey them?
This is the question that Rabbi Harold Kushner has raised in a recent article in the journal "Conservative Judaism." He He answers the question with a resounding "No." And I agree with him.
 Rabbi Kushner's article is entitled "Conservative Judaism in an Age of Democracy." He argues that a system of Conservative Judaism in which Jews are told that they must follow mitzvot because God commanded them on Mount Sinai or because our rabbinic sages decreed them long ago is a system that is no longer viable. We live in an age of democracy and individualism. In this modern era, says Rabbi Kushner, we are free to make choices in all areas of our lives, including religious choices. We do not respond to commands and obligations. Rabbi Kushner says, "Most Americans would rank action based on personal choice and personal values higher than behavior based on unquestioning obedience. Do we, of all people, really admire the person who says, ‘I was following orders’?” I know I don’t.
Rabbi Kushner's challenge immediately raises another question. If he is right that we do not follow mitzvot because we feel that we are commanded by God or by tradition to do so, then why should we live our lives in accordance with the mitzvot? If we have a free choice to do a mitzvah or not do it, why should we do it? This is not a rhetorical question. It is a genuine question. What reason might motivate us to choose to do mitzvot?
I really like Rabbi Kushner's answer. He points out that the blessing associated with a mitzvah includes the phrase “asher kid’shanu b’mitzvotav.” When we light Shabbat candles, we say, "Baruch Atah Adonai, Eloheinu Melech ha’olam, asher kid’shanu b’mitzvotav, v’tzivanu l’hadlik ner shel Shabbat.”
"Asher kid’shanu b’mitzvotav" means "Who sanctifies us by Your commandments." "Sanctify" means to make holy, to bring holiness into our lives. We should choose to do mitzvot, Rabbi Kushner argues, not because we believe that God commanded us and we must obey, but because we make our lives holy by doing mitzvot.
Then Rabbi Kushner asks the central question: What is holiness? What is holiness?
Rabbi Kushner suggests an answer to this question in an imaginative reading of the creation story.
We read in Genesis that God first existed alone. God then created the universe, starting with light and moving through the days of creation until, on the sixth day, the world included all the animals. Man had not yet been created. God then says, in verse 26 of chapter 1 in Genesis, "na’aseh adam b’tzelmeinu,” “Let us make man in our image."
According to this text, to whom is God speaking when God uses the words “us” and “our”? What does the text mean when it has God saying, “Let us make man in our image”?
Rabbi Kushner imagines that God has gathered a convention of all the animals. The way I envision this convention, God and representatives of all species of animals are seated together around an enormous conference table. The lions and tigers are over on this side. They are safely separated from the sheep and cattle over here. Scattered around the table are dogs and cats, frogs and mosquitoes and all other animal species.
As Rabbi Kushner reconstructs this imagined scene, God says to all those assembled animals:
Let us make man in our image. Between us, let us fashion a new kind of creature. This creature will resemble you animals in some ways, needing to eat, sleep, procreate. But this creature will also resemble Me in some ways, capable of making moral distinctions, capable of rising to a level of self-consciousness and self-control that no animal can achieve. This new creature will have your body but My breath, My spirit. The purpose of this creature’s existence will be to transcend its animal origins and experience true humanity through the achievement of holiness. It will find holiness in love as a dimension of procreation. It will find holiness in exercising self-control over appetite in all its manifestations. By tasting holiness, it will understand what it means to be a human being in the image of God. It will introduce a moral dimension into a world that would otherwise be ruled by blind, amoral Nature.
Rabbi Kushner concludes that, when we say “asher kid’shanu b’mitzvotav," we are "praising God for having shown us the way to fashion and experience holiness through the performance of mitzvot."
Eliot Spitzer and David Paterson and Michelle Paterson and anyone else who commits adultery succumbs to animal passion. They behave in the same way that animals behave as documented in the Science Times article. But anyone who keeps his or her marriage vows and obeys the Seventh Commandment, "You shall not commit adultery," rises above animal passion and follows the path of holiness.
Let me repeat Rabbi Kushner's central reason why we should live our lives by observing mitzvot. The very purpose of human existence is to transcend our animal origins and experience true humanity through the achievement of holiness. By observing mitzvot, we give meaning to our lives by making choices that only we are capable of making.
I am not merely arguing that we ought not commit adultery. The idea that observance of mitzvot provides us with a way to experience holiness in our lives is a much broader concept.
Rabbi Kushner applies his idea in three areas where we can experience holiness by being fully human through observing Jewish law: kashrut, fasting and Shabbat.
Here's what Rabbi Kushner had to say concerning each of these three areas, all as examples of doing mitzvot in order to experience holiness.
Kashrut will no longer be a random collection of prohibitions perceived as obsolete health regulations. Kashrut instead will be a way we can take something we share with animals, the need to eat regularly, and elevate it above the animal-instinctive levels. We can observe the categories of permitted and forbidden foods and combinations, even as we engage in sexual behavior in a human way rather than in an animal fashion by investing it with concepts of permitted and forbidden times and partners. Breakfast, lunch and supper become occasions for mindful eating rather than simply refueling our bodies.
Fasting on Yom Kippur will not be a matter of afflicting ourselves so that God will see our sincerity and our hunger pains and be moved to grant our prayers. Instead, fasting on Yom Kippur will be a way of proclaiming that we are truly human beings. We can do what no other creature on God's earth can do. We can be hungry and choose not to eat. We can be sexually aroused and choose not to respond. We can be angry and choose not to lash out. And when we realize that we have chosen badly, we can choose to repent and change.
What does Shabbat mean when we understand mitzvah not as obligation but as opportunity for holiness? We free Shabbat from being a negative experience defined by endless prohibitions. Instead, we restore it to what it was originally meant to be. We experience Shabbat as a proclamation that we are free men and women, not beasts and not slaves. Shabbat can be an experience of holiness and of freedom because it becomes a symbol of our ability to define time rather than to be defined by time.
The activities of animals are defined by Nature. Some are active in daylight, others are nocturnal. Some are active year-round, others hibernate the winter away. But they have no choice in the matter. Their instincts define how they use time.
But for human beings, and for human beings alone, time is malleable. We can shape it to our purposes. Only humans can take a day -- a birthday, an anniversary, a holiday -- and choose to make it special, and by their choice let themselves feel the 24 hours of that day as being different from the day before it or the day after it. Days, months, years are astronomical phenomena. They exist independent of any human activity. But the week is a human invention. As a way of demarcating a week, Shabbat is something that only human beings can recognize.
Rabbi Kushner concludes this way his description of Shabbat as we can observe it with an understanding of mitzvah as experience of holiness.
All week long, we are defined by our work. We deserve a day on which we are defined by who we are and not by what we do. All week long, we are bound to a schedule. How many times a day do we check our watches to see if we are running late? We deserve a day in which the concept of running late does not exist, a day free of time-bound obligations, when we tell time not by looking at our watch but by following the course of the sun across the sky.
As we enjoy the rest of this Shabbat, may we reflect on the ways in which we can introduce observance of mitzvot into our lives. In this way may we elevate our lives with holiness and move beyond our animal selves to experience fully our true humanity.

8 comments:


  1. my name is Treasy My ex-boyfriend dumped me one weeks ago after I accused him of seeing someone else and insulting him. I want him back in my life but he refuse to have any contact with me. I was so confuse and don`t know what to do, so I reach to the internet for help and I saw a testimony of how a spell caster help people to get their ex back so I contact the spell caster and explain my problem to him and he cast a spell for me and assure me of 48hours that my ex will return to me and to my greatest surprise the third day my ex came knocking on my door and beg for forgiveness. I am so happy that my love is back again and not only that, we are about to get married. Once again thank you DR.MARKROBBIN. You are truly talented and gifted. Email:drmarkrobbinspelltemple@yahoo.com is the only answer. He can be of great help and I will not stop publishing him because he is a wonderful man

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My name is Sonia, and i live in uk.I have been through hell and pain,looking for a good and real spell caster who can help me get my husband back.I have been scammed so many times,by some who claimed to be real spell casters.until i found the real and great spell caster PROPHETLUDASPELLTEMPLE" who helped me,and solved all my problems concerning my boyfriend who left me since eight months ago.and after that i also took my friend along,who was also having the same problem concerning her husband,who left her since five months ago,and the problem was also solved by the same PROPHETLUDASPELLTEMPLE". Can't you see! the real and great spell caster is here,all you need to do now is to contact this same address whenever you are in any problem related to spell casting.It took me a very long period of time,before i could get this real and great spell caster.So right now "prophetludaspelltemple@outlook.com" is here,and the best for you to solve your problems.......
      prophetludaspelltemple@outlook.com

      Delete
  2. After being in relationship with my husband for nine years,he broke up with me, I did everything possible to bring him back but all was in vain, I wanted him back so much because of the love I have for him, I begged him with everything, I made promises but he refused. I explained my problem to someone online and she suggested that I should rather contact a spell caster that could help me cast a spell to bring him back but I am the type that never believed in spell, I had no choice than to try it, I mailed the spell caster, and he told me there was no problem that everything will be okay before three days, that my ex will return to me before three days, he cast the spell and surprisingly in the second day, it was around 4pm. My ex called me, I was so surprised, I answered the call and all he said was that he was so sorry for everything that happened, that he wanted me to return to him, that he loves me so much. I was so happy and went to him, that was how we started living together happily again. Since then, I have made promise that anybody I know that have a relationship problem, I would be of help to such person by referring him or her to the only real and powerful spell caster who helped me with my own problem and who is different from all the fake ones out there. Anybody could need the help of the spell caster, his email is (ukospelltemple@yahoo.com } tel.+2348115200304) you can email him if you need his assistance in your relationship or anything.

    ReplyDelete

  3. Hello to the people of this forum< Am chizzy from Texas and i can say that am the happiest person on earth since last week with what DR UKO has done for me , it all started last year October when my fiance left me in Texas and travel to see his parents in Ohio at first him was still calling me and show love even when him was away , but it gets to a point when he no longer gives a shit about me , and i noticed it so when i tried to confront him , he told me that he dose not love me again that he feel like being alone i was shocked and heartbroken when i tried talking he will hang the phone on me i was so heart broken and i was frustrated about this , but on a second thought i was not convince that he was on his right senses so i discuss this with my elder sister who lives in California and she directed me to DR UKO of ukospelltemple@yahoo.com saying that the man has helped her friend in such case before so i said to my self let me tried i contacted this man and explain everything to him and behold dr uko said to me what am to do and i did exactly what he and he said after three days my fiance will call me and once he calls me i should pick the calls and he gave some other instructions . so i said okay , but to my best surprise on the 7th of November my fiancee called me and started saying on the phone am sorry it was like a dream to me , with this i said i will tell the world of his dr UKO goodness in my life , so if any one is out there and needs help in his or her relationship can also contact him today via

    email ukospelltemple@yahoo.com or whatsapp him on ; +2347064650019

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never believed in spell casting, but After 6 years of dating, I still imagine how Dr Aza brought my ex lover back to me in just 24 hour. No one could have ever made me believe that there is a real spell caster that really work. am sandra by name,I want to quickly tell the world that there is a real on line spell caster that is powerful and genuine, His name is Dr Aza, He helped me recently to reunite my relationship when my ex lover who left me, When i contacted Dr Aza he cast a love spell for me and my ex lover who said he doesn't have anything to do with me again, he called me and started begging me. he is back now with so much love and caring. today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the powers of bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my lover,and the most surprise,is that our love is very strong,every day is happiness and joy. and there is nothing like been with the man you love.i am so happy my love is back to me with the help of Dr.Aza if you have similar problem i will advice you to contact him ,he is there to help you and put a smile on your face. his email: azaspellcaster@gmail.com or you can whats App his line:+2348107155060

    ReplyDelete

  5. I am miss Susan from Califonia USA, I promise to share this testimony all over the world once my boyfriend return back to me, and today with all due respect i want to thank DR.ADAGBA for bringing joy and happiness to my relationship and my family. I want to inform you all that there is a spell caster that is real and genuine. I never believed in any of these things until i loosed my boyfriend, I required help until i found adagbaspiritualtemple@gmail.com a grate spell caster, And he cast a love spell for me, and he assured me that I will get my boyfriend back in two days after the spell has been cast. two days later, my phone rang, and so shockingly, it was my boyfriend who has not called me for past 10 years now, and made an apology for the heart break, and told me that he is ready to be my back bone till the rest of his life with me. DR.ADAGBA released him up to know how much i loved and wanted him. And opened his eyes to picture how much we have we have share together. As I’m writing this testimony right now I’m the most happiest girl on earth and me and my fiance is living a happy life and our love is now stronger than how it were even before our break up. So that’s why I promised to share my testimony all over the universe.All thanks goes to DR.ADAGBA for the excessive work that he has done for me. Below is the email address in situation you are undergoing a heart break, and I assure you that as she has done mine for me, she will definitely help you too. adagbaspiritualtemple@gmail.com . call or whatsapp him now via: +2349057354407

    ReplyDelete

  6. i will like to share my testimony to you all.i just got married to my husband about a year ago we start having problems at home like we stop sleeping on the same bed,fighting about little things he always comes home late at night,drinking too much and sleeping with other women out side.i have never love any man in my life except him.he is the father of my children and i don't want to loose him because we have worked so hard together to become what we are and have today.few month ago he now decided to live me and the kid,being a single mother can be hard sometimes and so i have nobody to turn to and i was heart broken.i called my mom and explain every thing to her,my mother told me about LORD NOBEL how he helped her solve the problem between her and my dad i was surprise about it because they have been without each other for three and a half years and it was like a miracle how they came back to each other.i was directed to LORD NOBEL and explain everything to him,so he promise me not to worry that he will cast a spell and make things come back to how we where so much in love again and that it was another female spirit that was controlling my husband.he told me that my problem will be solved within two days if i believe i said OK.So he cast a spell for me and after two days my love came back asking me to forgive him.i Am so happy now. so that why i decided to share my experience with every body that have such problem contact him email on his you Email lordnobelspellcaster@hotmail.com or lordnoblespellcaster@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

  7. i will like to share my testimony to you all.i just got married to my husband about a year ago we start having problems at home like we stop sleeping on the same bed,fighting about little things he always comes home late at night,drinking too much and sleeping with other women out side.i have never love any man in my life except him.he is the father of my children and i don't want to loose him because we have worked so hard together to become what we are and have today.few month ago he now decided to live me and the kid,being a single mother can be hard sometimes and so i have nobody to turn to and i was heart broken.i called my mom and explain every thing to her,my mother told me about LORD NOBEL how he helped her solve the problem between her and my dad i was surprise about it because they have been without each other for three and a half years and it was like a miracle how they came back to each other.i was directed to LORD NOBEL and explain everything to him,so he promise me not to worry that he will cast a spell and make things come back to how we where so much in love again and that it was another female spirit that was controlling my husband.he told me that my problem will be solved within two days if i believe i said OK.So he cast a spell for me and after two days my love came back asking me to forgive him.i Am so happy now. so that why i decided to share my experience with every body that have such problem contact him email on his you Email lordnobelspellcaster@hotmail.com or lordnoblespellcaster@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete